Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No News and Life Keeps Ticking Away

Well we haven't heard anything from our agency all last week or this week. I was hoping for a miracle or someone one in the courts to say "let's rush this since it has already been a while." But so far nothing.

Luckily it's a busy time at work. We are starting to prep the students for the dreaded State Testing. (I know testing is in April, but we start practicing skills, types of questions, and sample tests now.) It is amazing how much pressure we put on our children. I am so nervous for our kids to start school. They will be at such a disadvantage. And personally as an educator and soon to be Mom, I could care less about those tests. I have three important questions for my students to answer at the end of the year.
1. Did you try your hardest, even if you didn't like the assignment, subject, or teacher? (most of the time?)
2. Were you respectful to all the students and teachers?
3. What did you learn about yourself in the past ten months?

If I do my job right, the student's will learn to read more effectively, acquire new math skills, discover science, and learn American History. But if I truly teach them about life, they will be pushed to their limits, where they will learn about themselves. I will treat them with respect, showcasing each of their unique talents (sometimes, these are quirks). And they will try their best because they want to learn.

None of these skills are tested however. We are raising a group of children, to be multiple choice thinkers. Which is the best answer without having to create a sentence of their own. We are creating self-centered learners. Just do better than those around you to prove your worth. We are creating a genuine indifference to learning because they are learning what they have to and not what they want to.

So as we start to prepare for the CST's, life will keep ticking away. This is both good and bad. Keeps me busy, but reminds me that we have so much to do.

1 comment:

Christina Hubbard said...

Breann- I am still praying!!