Monday, November 23, 2009

Time in Little Ethiopia

Last week I went to LA to turn in our updated home study. We needed a new one because the old one expired and Immigration required it. We could have mailed it in but with our luck, it would sit on some one's desk in the wrong department or something. So my sister and I drove to LA, we hit no traffic which is a blessing in itself, and hand delivered the document. We were in and out of the Federal Building in 20 min. That item is checked off. What a relief.

Brooke and I decided to eat lunch in Little Ethiopia. It's on Fairfax between Washington and Ethiopia, if anyone is wondering. We ate at a little restaurant that had a vegetarian buffet. This is the fourth time we have eaten in Little Ethiopia. I feel like a horrible mother because I do not like the Injera. Injera is a crepe-like bread that is really sour. It is the base for meals. Most of the food is cooked like a stew. They then place the different stews on top of the Injera. You then tear off the Injera and pick up the bite of stew. I like all of the stewed vegetables. They are cooked with turmeric and onions, garlic and ginger. The flavor is really good. But I have a hard time eating the Injera with it.

Here is a picture of the meal. I didn't think to take a picture until I was half way done, so its a little messy.


The reason I feel like a bad mother: the only like, hobby, interest listed on our kids referral was Injera. Insert sinking stomach feeling.

We decided to go shopping in the Merkato and an Ethiopian Clothing store. We first entered and the smell of incense and maybe hookah was so thick. It takes you by surprise. But after a few minutes you can adjust to it. On the left side of the market the wall is lined with Ethiopian movies and music. There are flags, books, pictures, clothing scattered on the right wall and sitting at the counter are three Ethiopian men. In the back are ingredients and spices and Ethiopian beer.

After gathering the ingredients to make a few recipes, including Injera, we started a conversation with the woman behind the register. We showed her pictures of my boys and she was so excited for us. She was excited that they were older. She told us how to pronounce our oldest' name. I am glad she did. The true pronunciation is beautiful. She then told us how they make the lentils and vegetables. She gave me her number if we have any problems with translating or if they are home sick. She was so gracious and excited I was reinvigorated.


We then went across the street to the clothing store and the lady there was just as excited. We both bought a necklace. She said we had to bring them in and then told us information about the country. She told us about the area where the boys orphanage is located. She said it is in the country side. It is a poorer region where it is very rural. She said we need to make sure we get out there because it is beautiful.

I feel so blessed that this wonderful resource is so close. We can take the kids to get a very small taste of home. We plan to go once a month if that is possible.

2 comments:

Missy said...

WOW!! That is so great that you are so close to Little Ethiopia!! It will be wonderful to go back with your boys...soon....hopefully, very soon... :)

Stephanie said...

Breann, I was wondering what orphanage you boys are from. Email me roo.568@gmail.com. Just wondering if they are from the same orphanage as my boys.