Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Blues

Thanksgiving is this Thursday... I know that there is so much to be thankful for. But I am a little frustrated. No, that's an understatement. I am pissed.

A friend was going to take update photos of our babies this week while she was picking up her sweet little Marley, but due to the miscommunication from our agency, that won't be happening. I have never been pregnant but new photos is the adoption version of feeling the baby kick. It makes it all real. We have been staring at the same pic since July. Not that they will have changed that much, but right now I feel like we just paid a whole lot of money and went through the emotional journey of a life time to be given a photo and that is supposed to be good enough.

With the delays from the embassy and the delays from the orphanage (our agency says there is no delay but it's been almost 9 weeks since referral) it is driving me crazy. I am quickly unraveling. It would be like getting to your ninth month and being told to wait two more months because the doctor didn't file your paper correctly, so hold on and don't get mad because it was an honest mistake. Oh and on top of that, if the nurse hadn't told you you wouldn't have known why anyways. Yes! That's what we were told when we inquired. (And during that two months your baby could be in pain, sad, scared, sick, tired, hungry... you don't know because someone else is in charge of your baby, not you.) Is that supposed to make me grateful, appreciative, trusting?

I don't think so. What kind of response is that. It's like, I'm sorry we told you it was a cold but you really have this incurable disease. We misfiled your lab results and you could have been cured but now you can't. Ahhhh. It's absolutely maddening. I am rolling through this constant situation in my head. I guess this is part of parenting. You are constantly worried about your children. I just wish there was something some one would do to remedy their mistake other than say oopps. I know that things are different in Ethiopia. But this is why there is the American agency that is supposed to ensure things are done correctly, and if not, at least make sure something is done to correct it. Or so I thought.,

I don't want to be all complain-y right before Thanksgiving; I know there is a lot to be thankful for. It's like trying to be thankful for water when your drowning in it. I know not as drastic as that... No one is sick or dying but my goodness, when can we get off the ride and start life as a family?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I hope soon. I'm sorry it's taking forever. And, for what it's worth, it seems you have to wait longer to hear about court, but then once you do, the wait for court itself isn't too bad.

With our first adoption we were notified of our court date in September and had to wait until November (I believe that's correct) and then when we didn't pass we had to wait for a court date another six weeks off. With our second adoption we heard about our court date at the end of May and court was two weeks later.

We failed court right before last Thanksgiving, so I know how it feels to be frustrated right before this holiday. Please don't let it bring you down...your children are there, waiting. It'll happen. (And, when it does, you'll wonder why you didn't enjoy more "quiet" time. haha)