Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ups and Downs, Ins and Outs

Over the last 25 months I have read so much about adoptions, adoption parenting, attachment, Ethiopia, manuals, procedures, etc. Yet I keep getting blind sided by different steps or paperwork that comes up in the process to bring our kiddos home.

Last Wednesday I was finally able to take our addendum, change to our initial age request on our home study, to the USCIS office in LA. My mom went with me and we had a nice day together. We sat in the office with the parolees, because apparently adoptions and parolees belong in the same small office of immigration, and watched as people came and went. I finally was called up to this small little window where I had to stand on my knees. I handed over our paperwork again.

She said it was all up to par and told me to wait while they typed up the appropriate paperwork. We were given the paperwork, an appointment to be re-fingerprinted and were sent on our way.

The following Friday, Nick and I were re-fingerprinted and a huge relief was taken off my chest. The weekend was a busy one but it was nice to know that there wasn't any adoption paperwork that hasn't been done.

That is that we knew of... Monday after work we received a call from immigration stating that we needed to have a home study update in addition to the addendum. So I ask our case worker what that entails and she said basically regathering all of our info. Background, medical, career, recommendations, all of it. That was it. This was were I finally felt overwhelmed.
Tears fell. So I called our social worker and they directed me to the quickest way to do everything. So tomorrow we are going to get fingerprinted with the state of CA and get our vaccinations.

I will take this one step at a time. But today, my mom, my sister and I are going to the Day Spa. We are going to relax. My brother in law flew to Afghanistan this morning. So stress is high on the radar in our family this week. But if we take it one day at a time, we are going to make it. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is shining on two little boys who are our sons.

No comments: