Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Surrogacy


I have directed my motherly instincts into a very small salsa garden. I am not your typical green thumb. Until this recent venture I have killed every plant I have ever owned, including the unkillable Bamboo in water. But this little garden is different. Or maybe I am different, who knows. I come home every day and inspect for bugs or weeds. I love to water it. The dogs get to run around while I am soaking in the sun and tending my little garden. I measure its growth and compare it to my Dad's very large garden. ( His tomato plants are 3 x's the size of mine and they came from the same 6 pack.) I don't care that my plants seem behind in growth, they are growing.


I kind of feel like these small delicate tomato plants are like my unknown children. They need my attention and I give them what they want. It is not your typical garden. It is in a little planter in our front yard of our small condo. They are not growing at the "typical" rate of the other plants but they are perfect for our small house hold.


I am sure I sound crazy and I am not saying gardening is anything near parenting but at the moment I can focus and enjoy one of life's slower things.


And guess what? Today the first tomato appeared. Look at the picture above. I was so excited to see it bearing fruit. Seems perfect to me.



2 comments:

elisa said...

I'm babying my garden too! I'm waiting for something to sprout before I post pics, but it's so rewarding isn't it?

Kindra said...

Congrats on your new little one...hope we can come over this summer and enjoy the spoils. :)